WASHINGTON, D.C. – Representative Adam Smith (D-Wash.) announced the successful inclusion of $8,148,000 million in the FY 2022 House appropriations bills for ten community projects in the 9th District. “I am thrilled the House appropriations bills includes funding for the ten projects I submitted that will help address growing inequities and underinvestment in our communities,” said Rep. Adam … READ MORE
Reforming our immigration system is long overdue. Our current laws, regulations, and enforcement do not recognize the importance of sound immigration policies to our economy and national security. We cannot afford to wait any longer to reform our immigration system in a comprehensive way.
Immigration is one of the great strengths of our nation. People from all over the world have come to our country because they see opportunity in America and a chance to build a better life for themselves and their families. The hard work and talent of immigrants have helped grow our economy and have strengthened our country for all Americans.
Legal immigration is not an obstacle to growth, but rather supplements our economic competitiveness and American jobs by attracting needed workers, high-skilled entrepreneurs, and investors. This can all be accomplished while keeping families together in a way that is consistent with American values. It is time to address our immigration laws to create a better system that allows families to stay together, businesses to thrive, and keeps our nation safe.
I continue to be disturbed by President Trump’s actions on immigration. There is no place for separating families or bans on immigration from specific countries and religions. I stand with DACA recipients and strongly believe that we must honor our country’s commitment to them. I will always stand against policies rooted in racism and nativism.
Adam’s work on Immigration Reform:
- Introduced the Accountability in Immigration Detention Act, which would improve conditions in detention centers, and help ensure access to legal representation and translation services.
- Original cosponsor of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, which would open a legal pathway to citizenship for nearly 12 million undocumented people who lack legal status today, introduce a talent-based approach to immigration and visa programs, and make our borders more secure by adding up to 40,000 Border Patrol agents and upgrading border stations.
- Supports legislation such as the DREAM Act, which would give students who were brought to the United States as children the chance to become citizens, either through pursuing a college education or serving in our Armed Forces.
- Supports President Obama’s executive actions on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA), which would help keep families together and provide work permits to parents of American citizens who are seeking residence.
- Signed discharge petition and joined Democratic leadership on the steps of the Capitol to try and force former House Speaker John Boehner to vote on immigration reform.
- Wrote letters to President Obama and former Secretary of Homeland Security, Jeh Johnson, to provide greater deportation relief and give judges more judicial discretion.