Washington, D.C. – House Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Adam Smith (D-WA) released the following statement about President Trump’s policy on transgender military service: “President Trump’s decision to ban transgender military service is vicious, inhumane, and utterly wrong. There are scores of transgender men and women serving in the military right now, under a policy that had already … READ MORE
Reforming our immigration system is long overdue. Our current laws, regulations, and enforcement do not recognize the importance of sound immigration policies to our economy and national security. We cannot afford to wait any longer to reform our immigration system in a comprehensive way.
Immigration is one of the great strengths for our nation. People from all over the world have come to our country because they see opportunity in America and a chance to build a better life for themselves and their families. The hard work and talent of immigrants have helped grow our economy and have strengthened our country for all Americans.
Legal immigration is not an obstacle to growth, but rather supplements our economic competitiveness and American jobs by attracting needed workers, high-skilled entrepreneurs, and investors. This can all be accomplished while keeping families together in a way that is consistent with American values. It is time to address our immigration laws to create a better system that allows families to stay together, businesses to thrive, and keeps our nation safe.
Adam’s work on Immigration Reform:
- Introduced the Accountability in Immigration Detention Act, which would improve conditions in detention centers, and help ensure access to legal representation and translation services.
- Original cosponsor of the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act, which would open a legal pathway to citizenship for nearly 12 million undocumented people who lack legal status today, introduce a talent-based approach to immigration and visa programs, and make our borders more secure by adding up to 40,000 Border Patrol agents and upgrading border stations.
- Supports legislation such as the DREAM Act, which would give students who were brought to the United States as children the chance to become citizens, either through pursuing a college education or serving in our Armed Forces.
- Supports the President’s executive actions on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA), which would help keep families together and provide work permits to parents of American citizens who are seeking residence.
- Signed discharge petition and joined Democratic leadership on the steps of the Capitol to try and force former House Speaker John Boehner to vote on immigration reform.
- Wrote letters to the President and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson to provide greater deportation relief and give judges more judicial discretion.