Washington, D.C. – Today, Ranking Member of the House Armed Services Committee offered an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act to provide for noise mitigation for the Highline School District. Amendment #538 clarifies that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) can provide funding for noise mitigation to schools that are outside the current noise contours if the … READ MORE
Economy & Jobs
I am a strong supporter of measures to boost the Puget Sound economy by providing workers and their families with fair access to opportunity, and have authored legislation to provide job training, health care benefits and unemployment to laid-off workers, as well as consistently sponsored legislation that would raise the minimum wage at the federal, state, and local levels.
I have also led the fight to ensure our economy is strong in the long term by balancing the budget, and I support a forward-thinking energy plan, investments in education and job training, and tax incentives to promote small business and economic investment in our local communities.
Undoubtedly, the value that small businesses contribute to a community is immeasurable. I am firmly committed to working with small businesses, helping them work with federal and local governments, and encouraging their investment so that our economy continues to grow.
The Puget Sound region is a diverse and fundamentally healthy economy that has been a key factor in making Washington state a leader in job and wage growth. I have worked with my colleagues in Washington state to keep Boeing jobs and subcontractors here, build the infrastructure we need for a strong economy, and improve education so that we can continue to have the best workforce in the country.
Adam’s work on Economy & Jobs:
- Opposes the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) in its current form, which does not adequately protect workers, the environment, or human rights, and voted against Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) or so-called “Fast Track” authority for the TPP in 2015.
- Meets regularly with a Small Business Advisory Council, a CEO Advisory Council, and an Agriculture Advisory Council to give Congressional updates and listen to their thoughts on issues affecting their communities.
- Helped constituent organizations receive $6.7 million dollars in federal grants to help support local enterprise.
- Sponsored the Trade Adjustment Assistance Act of 2015, which provides job training, extended unemployment benefits, financial assistance, and health insurance to industry workers who have lost their jobs due to international trade.
- Secured $100,000 in federal funds for the Technology Institute at the University of Washington-Tacoma project. These funds will pay for faculty, curriculum development, and equipment acquisition.
- Strongly supported SeaTac Prop 1, which raised the minimum wage to $15.00 and require mandatory paid sick leave for hospitality and transportation workers within SeaTac.
- Endorsed Washington state I-1433 in 2016, which would raise the statewide minimum wage to $13.50 and provide seven days of paid sick leave.
- Cosponsored the GROW America Act, which would establish $478 billion in funding for maintaining our nation’s highway and freight infrastructure.
- Co-sponsored legislation that would give companies incentive to build current and next generation broadband facilities in urban and rural areas.
- Voted for the Small Business Paperwork Relief Act, which suspends most civil fines for first-time offenders and provides more flexibility.
- Co-sponsored 10,000 Teachers, 10 Million Minds Science and Scholarship Act, which seeks to ensure that the next generation of Americans receives the training and education they need to compete in the global job market, and takes steps to keep high-wage jobs in America.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 15, the Raise the Wage Act of 2017